MANCHESTER - 24th July | LONDON - 31st October
veteranUK soldier

What do you get from the Armed Forces Independence Payment?

While a great place to start is by networking with employers who understand the military and are eager to hire ex-forces personnel – such as VeteranUK events – there is also financial support available in the form of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS).

This can provide either a one-off lump sum or an ongoing Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) and is open to anyone who suffered an incident after 6th April 2005. However, for some of the most severely impacted people, the payments on offer through the AFCS may not cover ongoing costs. In these cases, you may be able to get further assistance from the Armed Forces Independence Payment.

What is the Armed Forces Independence Payment scheme?

The Armed Forces Independence Payment, or AFIP, provides long-term financial support for men and women who have been seriously injured while on active service in HM Armed Forces. It is intended to cover additional costs for care or loss of earnings that these personnel have to deal with.

AFIP is similar in purpose to the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) benefit offered to people living with disabilities. However, unlike the civilian version, those applying for AFIP are not required to undergo an initial assessment or go through periodic re-evaluations in order to keep receiving the payment.

Who is eligible for this support?

An AFIP may be claimed by anyone who was injured in service after 6th April 2005 who has already been awarded a GIP of 50 percent or more as part of the AFCS. The payment is not means-tested and not affected by earnings, other income or savings.

Individuals who are currently receiving any of the following benefits will not be eligible for AFIP:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
  • War Pensions Constant Attendance Allowance

Those who are not eligible for AFIP may still be able to get financial assistance for a long-term disability or health condition through a PIP allowance.

What can ex-service members receive from the Armed Forces Independence Payment?

The AFIP is currently set at £172.75 a week. This is tax-free and will be paid directly into your bank account every four weeks for as long as you meet the qualifying criteria. This is not counted as income when assessing your eligibility for other benefits, and you and your household will also be exempt from the benefit cap.

How do you make an AFIP application?

In order to make a claim for AFIP, you will need to contact Veterans UK, which is the government department responsible for administering the scheme. They can be contacted via phone on 0808 191 4218 and will send you a form to complete and return. If your claim is refused, you can request that Veterans UK reviews this decision.

Image credits

© Crown copyright

© Crown copyright 2024